Re: Postgresql and multithreading - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Postgresql and multithreading
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 16 Oct 2002 at 15:40, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> > In that case, I wonder if it is worth folking a new project to add
> > threading support to the backend?  Of course, keeping in sync with the
> > original would be lot of work.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtpgsql

Last discussion that happened for multithreading was not to add threads per
connection like mysql, but to split tasks between threads so that IO blocking
and efficiently using SMP abilities would be taken care off IIRC..

One thread per connection isn't going to change much, at least for mainstream
postgresql. For embedded, it might be a necessity..

ByeShridhar

--
QOTD:    "You're so dumb you don't even have wisdom teeth."