Re: Pinning a table into memory - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Pinning a table into memory
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:

> "David Blood" <david@matraex.com> writes:
> > In Oracle you can Pin large objects into memory to prevent frequent
> > reloads. Is there anyway to do this with Postgres?
>
> I can never understand why people think this would be a good idea.
> If you're hitting a table frequently, it will stay in memory anyway
> (either in Postgres shared buffers or kernel disk cache).  If you're
> not hitting it frequently enough to keep it swapped in, then whatever
> is getting swapped in instead is probably a better candidate to be
> occupying the space.

As I understand it, he's looking for a mechanism to prevent a single
sequential scan on a table, larger than the buffer cache, to kick out
everything else at once. But I agree with you that pinning other objects
is just mucking with the symptoms instead of curing the desease.

Jan