Re: Threaded Sorting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Threaded Sorting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> scott.marlowe wrote:
<snip>
> > It seems like sometimes we consider these issues more from the one or two
> > SCSI drives perspective insted of the big box o drives perspective.
>
> Yes, it is mostly for non-RAID drives, but also, sometimes single drives
> can be faster.  When you have a drive array, it isn't as easy to hit
> each drive and keep it running sequentially.  Of course, I don't have
> any hard numbers on that.  ;-)

Arrghh... please remember that "big bunch of drives" != "all in one
array".

It's common to have a bunch of drives and allocate different ones for
different tasks appropriately, whether in array sets, individually,
mirrored, etc.

100% totally feasible to have a separate 15k SCSI drive or two just
purely for doing sorts if it would assist in throughput.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift