Re: Large databases, performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Large databases, performance
Date
List pgsql-general
On 3 Oct 2002 at 10:26, Charles H. Woloszynski wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance, but what about 2.4.19-16 is that much faster?  Are
> we talking about 2x improvement for your tests?  We are currently on
> 2.4.9 and looking at the performance and wondering... so any comments
> are appreciated.

Well, for one thing, 2.4.19 contains backported O(1) scheduler patch which
improves SMP performance by heaps as task queue is per cpu rather than one per
system. I don't think any system routinely runs thousands of processes unless
it's a web/ftp/mail server. In that case improved scheduling wuld help as
well..

Besides there were major VM rewrites/changes after 2.4.10 which corrected
almost all the major VM fiaskos on linux. For anything VM intensive it's
recommended that you run 2.4.17 at least.

I would say it's worth going for it.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Sturgeon's Law:    90% of everything is crud.