Re: database session variables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: database session variables
Date
List pgsql-general
Mark Wilson wrote:
> Mike, Thanks heaps for your help here.  I'll try that (although I'm a bit of
> a freebsd/c newbie).
>
> My system didn't have postgres.h, so I'm using postgres_fe.h instead.  In
> addition, I don't have fmgr.h.  I downloaded version 1.18 of it from
> http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql-server/src/include/fmgr.h?s
> ortby=date&only_with_tag=REL7_2_STABLE, but the first gcc line produced a
> number of compiler errors and warnings, starting with:
> fmgr.h:30: syntax error before `*'
> fmgr.h:30: `Datum' declared as function returning a function
>
> line 30 of fmgr.h is
> typedef Datum (*PGFunction) (FunctionCallInfo fcinfo);
>
> Do you know what is causing this? (gcc version:gcc-2.95.3)

To write server-side C functions you need to be able to include
all of the server headers that the C interface requires. When
installing PostgreSQL, one normally either does a:

./configure
gmake
gmake install

However, to do server-side development, you also have to do:

gmake install-all-headers

or, if you are using binary packages you need to install the
appropriate package that contains the server-side development
headers. For RPMS, the package is:

postgresql-devel

You should then have all the headers necessary for server-side C
development.

Hope that helps,

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com