Re: Improving speed of copy - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Improving speed of copy
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 20 Sep 2002 at 10:27, Mike Benoit wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 08:52, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>
> > Besides there is issue of space. Mysql takes 1.4GB space for 1.2GB text data
> > and postgresql takes 3.2GB of space. Even with 40 bytes per row overhead
> > mentioned in FAQ, that should come to around 1.7GB, counting for 40% increase
> > in size. Vacuum was run on database.
> >

> How did you calculate the size of database? If you used "du" make sure
> you do it in the data/base directory as to not include the WAL files.

OK latest experiments, I turned number of buffers 15K and fsync is disabled..
Load time is now 1250 sec.

I noticed lots of notices in log saying, XLogWrite: new log files created.. I
am pushing wal_buffers to 1000 and wal_files to 40 to test again.. I hope it
gives me some required boost..

And BTW about disk space usage, it's 2.6G with base pg_xlog taking 65M. still
not good..

Will keep you guys updated..

ByeShridhar

--
It is necessary to have purpose.        -- Alice #1, "I, Mudd", stardate 4513.3