Re: PHP + PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: PHP + PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Steve Wolfe wrote:

> > Of course, a bigger box running PostgreSQL is still cheaper and
> > easier to maintain than multiple replicated servers.
>
>   Cheaper?  Look at the prices for two 2-cpu machines, and compare that to
> the price of one 4-cpu machine.  You can get nicely equipped dual-CPU
> machines for what, $4,000 or $5,000 total?  When you get into the 4-way
> machines, you'll pay that much just for the motherboard and chassis - and
> you still have thousands left to spend on the processers themselves.
>
>   Besides that, two 2-CPU machines can perform much, much better than a
> single 4-way machine, because you only have half of the processers
> fighting for I/O.

It's not only the cost of hardware, you have to look at. Unless you know
good developers that do the porting of your application into a
distributed version for a cup of rice per day, install and configure the
replication and load balancing for free because that's so cool and so
much fun, you have to add all these costs to the cheaper 2-way machines
before comparision. If it's not the Joelooser Web page hitcount
"application" kind of thing, you spend a good number of days ensuring
that your application doesn't run into problems when you go multimaster.

Jan