Re: Win32 rename()/unlink() questions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: Win32 rename()/unlink() questions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Mike Mascari wrote:
>
>>I will do some testing with concurrency and let you know. But
>>don't get your hopes up. This is one of the many advantages that
>>TABLESPACEs have when more than one relation is stored in a
>>single DATAFILE. There was Oracle for MS-DOS, after all..
>

> I was focusing on handling of pg_pwd and other config file that are
> written by various backend while other backends are reading them.  The
> actual data files should be OK because we have an exclusive lock when we
> are adding/removing them.

OK. So you want to test:

1. Process 1 opens "foo"
2. Process 2 opens "foo"
3. Process 1 renames "foo" to "bar"
4. Process 2 can safely read from its open file handle

Is that what you want tested? I have a small Win32 app ready to
test. Just let me know the scenarios...

Mike Mascari
mascarm@mascari.com