Re: Effective usage without unique key -- suggestion - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Dima Tkach
Subject Re: Effective usage without unique key -- suggestion
Date
List pgsql-sql
Bhuvan A wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using postgresql 7.2.1 on redhat linux 7.3
>
> I have a table in very high production database which is circulating
> several thousands of records per day ie.. count does not exceed several
> thousands.  Here for some technical reason i dont have unique key on this
> table, but it should contain unique records. I know that without using
> unique index it can be achieved in any of the following methods.
>
> Method 1
> --------
>   * check for the record.
>   * if exists update, else insert
>
> Method 2
> --------
>   * delete the record (trigger on before insert)
>   * insert the record
>
> So Can you please suggest the best among the above 2 methods?
>
> BTW, internals of the above 2 methods would be different. For example in
> method 2, frequent deletion of records calls for vacuuming the database.
> FYI, i does VACUUM ANALYZE every day. So Can you please suggest the best
> among the above 2 methods which well suits me and to use postgres more
> effectively?

Not really - internally update does pretty much the same thing as
delete+insert - so, either way, you won't be able to get away from
vacuum'ing it...

I *think* the second method should be (a little) more effective...

I hope, it helps...

Dima