Re: TOAST docs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: TOAST docs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing wrote:
> IIRC there were some ways to tweak when TOAST gets used, when it goes
> out to toastfile and when it uses compressed/non-compressed storage.
>
> I hope this is documented someplace, no ?

There is a mention of it in the ALTER TABLE doc:

ALTER TABLE [ ONLY ] table [ * ]  ALTER [ COLUMN ] column SET STORAGE { PLAIN | EXTERNAL | EXTENDED | MAIN }

SET STORAGE

This form sets the storage mode for a column. This controls whether this
column is held inline or in a supplementary table, and whether the data should
be compressed or not. PLAIN must be used for fixed-length values such as
INTEGER and is inline, uncompressed. MAIN is for inline, compressible data.
EXTERNAL is for external, uncompressed data and EXTENDED is for external,
compressed data. EXTENDED is the default for all datatypes that support it.
The use of EXTERNAL will make substring operations on a TEXT column faster, at
the penalty of increased storage space.

Joe