Re: JDBC Driver Database Meta Data - FK_NAME - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: JDBC Driver Database Meta Data - FK_NAME
Date
List pgsql-patches
Barry Lind wrote:

> Patch partially applied.
>
> I didn't apply the changes to AbstractJdbc1DatabaseMetaData.java that
> changes the FK_NAME being returned.  The existing code is very explicit
> that it is trying to return something unique for foreign key name and
> the new code doesn't necessarily do that.
>
> Dave,
>
> Do you see any reason why this shouldn't be changed as this patch does?
>   I am uncomfortable applying this without your review.
>
> thanks,
> --Barry

With the changes to constraint handling in 7.3 this is not an issue
because constraints are required to be unique per table.  In <= 7.2 a
unique name would be helpful.  I suppose it depends on what the user
plans on doing with the FK_NAME retrieved.  If they are simply showing
it uniqueness is good.  If they plan on doing ALTER TABLE [FKTABLE_NAME]
DROP CONSTRAINT [FK_NAME] then they need the real constraint name.  I
have no strong opinion on the subject because at the moment I am doing
neither.

On an unrelated note I have some other questions about the JDBC driver
in general...

What server versions does the JDBC driver target?  Currently it can run
the junit tests successfully on only 7.2 and 7.3.  Is it desired to have
these pass (by if(connection.haveMinimumServerVersion("x.y"))
statements) on 7.1, 7.0, 6.5, ...?  Even if the tests don't successfully
run against these servers which servers are officially supported?  Is
there a minimum set of functionality that should be supported on all
versions?

I'm doing some more work on making DatabaseMetaData queries schema
aware.  Would you prefer patches in a one function at a time format or
an all at once approach?

Kris Jurka