Re: possible vacuum improvement? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: possible vacuum improvement?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 3 Sep 2002 at 15:14, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> > Personally I would prefer to have a trigger on a metadata table
> > where I could
> > trigger vacuuming a particular table each n number of
> > transactions(Oh it would
> > be great if that vacuum runs in background not blocking meta data
> > table.. just
> > a wishlist...). Can anybody tell me which table I could write
> > such a trigger? I
> > went thr. pg_* for some time but didn't find what I was looking for..
>
> Actually, if you wrote it in C and kept some static data on each table, you
> could probably write a vacuum trigger pretty easily.  You could even keep
> the info in a table.

Actually that's what I did. Update global  transaction counter than trigger the
vacuum from a spare thread.

but having it in DB has advantages of centralisation. It's just a good to have
kind of thing..

ByeShridhar

--
"I don't know why, but first C programs tend to look a lot worse thanfirst
programs in any other language (maybe except for fortran, but thenI suspect all