Re: Accessing original TupleDesc from SRF - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Accessing original TupleDesc from SRF
Date
List pgsql-hackers
John Gray wrote:
> Please correct me if I've got this wrong, but it appears from the SRF
> API, that a SRF cannot readily refer to the TupleDesc to which it is
> expected to conform (i.e. the TupleDesc derived from the FROM clause of
> an original SELECT statement) because that is held in the executor state
> and not copied or linked into the function context.

[snip]

> Does this sound completely crazy?

Not crazy at all. I asked the same question a few days ago:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2002-08/msg01914.php

Tom suggested a workaround for my purpose, but I do agree that this is
needed in the long run. I looked at it briefly, but there was no easy
answer I could spot. I'll take another look today.

Joe