Re: Build a Spatial Database Cache based on PostgreSQL and PostGIS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From J. Andrew Rogers
Subject Re: Build a Spatial Database Cache based on PostgreSQL and PostGIS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Nov 20, 2006, at 10:15 PM, zhang Jackie wrote:
> hi,everyone!
>    I want to build a Spatial Database Cache based on PostgreSQL and
> PostGIS to accelerate GIS application.But I did not found related
> work while many people build cache for Oracle DB2 ,such business
> Ralational DBMS. Do someone know or have done such related work to
> have a good discussion or give some good advice. My idea is that
> cache  can solve the problem of computing problem and I/O
> bottleneck and some detail need be proved .Hoping your advice!

I know a considerable amount about scalable GIS applications,
including PostgreSQL and PostGIS based systems.  We have done
extensive profiling and testing of high-performance GIS server
designs in conjunction with some other companies, but I am not sure
exactly what you are asking.  PostgreSQL and PostGIS are a reasonable
foundation for this type of system design.  There *are* significant
scalability bottlenecks, both system specific and as a general limit
of the algorithms in common use, so it is not a small topic.

What, specifically, are you trying to do and what problems are you
attempting to solve?

Cheers,

J. Andrew Rogers
jrogers@neopolitan.com