Re: recursive function returning "setof" - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Fritz Lehmann-Grube
Subject Re: recursive function returning "setof"
Date
List pgsql-sql
Thanx Chris,

but I can't find it.
My Programmer's Guide (.../pgsql/doc/html/xfunc-sql.html) says
  "12.2. Query Language (SQL) Functions   SQL functions execute an arbitrary list of SQL statements,"

Nothing about control structures in SQL functions additional to the normal
command-line syntax. Where can I find it ?

and (.../pgsql/doc/html/plpgsql.html#PLPGSQL-ADVANTAGES)
  "23.1.1.1. Better Performance  SQL is the language PostgreSQL (and most other Relational Databases) use as
querylanguage. It's portable and easy to learn. But every SQL statement

must be   executed individually by the database server.

That means that your client application must send each query to the database
server, wait for it to process it, receive the results, do some computation,
then send other queries to the server."

Isn't it just the thing in plpgsql to add control structures to SQL ?

Fritz