Re: Why choose PostreSQL and not MySQL or Oracle!! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Preben Holm
Subject Re: Why choose PostreSQL and not MySQL or Oracle!!
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks Hans

That was a really nice answer - I wont say I understood all the things
the PostgreSQL database was capable of doing - but I think I've found my
database :)

I don't actually know what a SQL preprocessor is?
But I did read something about the mySQL system. When using tranactional
  safe tables it saves the query in the buffer and then afterwards
perform the action after having written a log - in case something went
wrong?

"locking: row level locking instead of table locking"
Locking a row - what does it mean?
I've also read something about the Oracle system. In case of a Disk I/O
error the database would still be accessible. It would just be the rows
that was damaged, that would be inaccessible? Has that something to do
with row-locking?

I am a newbie - I know but everybody needs to learn something all the
time :(

Subselects? What's that actually!

Triggers! Has that something to do with Stored Procedures? Some Oracle
guy told me that - I don't know if that's true!!

Kerberos? That has something to do with mail - or can be used by
mail-clients? But what exactly can I use it for!

If I should write an application for the PostgreSQL DB - How should I do
that? So it would be easy for the end user to use!! Is there some
programming features inside PostgreSQL that can perform client-work or
should I write (fx.) a java-client that connects to the server and
performs some queries?

Thanks for all your replying Hans

Are you a german? Having names like Jürgen is often german names!!! Just
curious!! My german teacher's name was Jürgen!
Btw. I'm from Denmark...