Re: OOP real life example (was Re: Why is MySQL more chosen - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Don Baccus
Subject Re: OOP real life example (was Re: Why is MySQL more chosen
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2002, Don Baccus wrote:
>

>>>Oh? Ok, please translate the following into equivalant SQL that
>>>does not use a view:
>>
>>Granulize GRANT to the table column level.
>

> Can you please show me the code for that? After all, I showed you
> all of my code when doing equivalants.

Obviously it would require extending SQL, but since you in part argue
that SQL sucks in regard to the relational model this shouldn't matter,
right?   You're arguing the superiority of the relational model as
described by D&D over other models, non-relational SQL (which all agree
has weaknesses) and most likely God.

So don't flip-flop between the "oh, SQL sucks think about the relational
model" and "SQL doesn't support that".  Pick one or the other.  Argue
SQL or D&D/relational model.

It's not hard to propose *extensions* to SQL that would allow granting
of perms on a column rather than table level.

> Or are you saying that it's syntactic sugar only in some imaginary
> version of postgres that does not exist?

Sort of like the idealized relational model that isn't implemented by
SQL nor PG, but yet you reference again and again when it suits you to
ignore the shortcomings of SQL92?

Sure.

Sorry, for a moment I thought you were interested in a meaningful
discussion rather than a dick-waving contest but I was wrong.

I give up.  Your right hand waves your dick more frequently and with
much more vigor than mine.  This has nothing to do with with anything I
care about, though.

--
Don Baccus
Portland, OR