Re: pg_stat_reset round 3 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: pg_stat_reset round 3
Date
List pgsql-patches
> The CALL syntax Chris is referring to is for Procedures, which we have
> not implemented yet (but I'd love to see us do it). Procedures return
> nothing. They have side efects only. Well, actually, in other DBs there
> are OUT parameters which allow procedures to return values in a limited
> way. And in MSSQL (at least) they can project result sets, which is not
> the same as returning result sets because you can't do anything with
> them like apply a criteria or join with other results.

SQL9x defines IN, OUT, and INOUT parameters on procedures. Now that we
have set returning functions, we might (more easily?) be able to define
tuple-returning procedures which is presumably how we would implement
OUT parameters (similar to how python returns values).

                  - Thomas