Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: FUNC_MAX_ARGS benchmarks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> As long as we allocate the full length for the funcarg and name types,
> we are going to have performance/space issues with increasing them,
> especially since we are looking at doubling or quadrupling those values.
>
> You can say that the test below isn't a representative benchmark, but I
> am sure it is typical of _some_ of our users, so it may still be a
> significant test.  We don't get good benchmark numbers by accident.  It
> is this type of analysis that keeps us sharp.

I'm running the OSDB benchmark right now. So far the Single user test
results are done, and the overall results is like this:

NAMEDATALEN = 32, FUNC_MAX_ARGS = 32
"Single User Test"      2205.89 seconds (0:36:45.89)

NAMEDATALEN = 128, FUNC_MAX_ARGS = 32
"Single User Test"      2256.16 seconds (0:37:36.16)

So the difference in performance for this benchmark is not nearly so
large, more like 2%. The multi-user portion of the second test is
running right now, so I'll report final results in the morning. I might
also run this on the same machine against 7.2.1 to see where we would
stand in comparison to the last release. But that won't happen until
tomorrow some time.

Joe