Re: VACUUM not doing its job? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: VACUUM not doing its job?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Kristian Eide wrote:
> This is not good as the database is in use 24/7, and without the indexes
> everything comes to a screeching halt. This means I probably will have to
> stop the programs using the database for the time it takes to re-create the
> indexes; this is better than having to dump/restore everything however :)

Try REINDEX. I don't think that precludes (at least) read access.
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?sql-reindex.html

You should also search the archives for threads on free space maps. You
most likely need to increase yours. In particular, see:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-07/msg00972.php

HTH,

Joe