Re: getpid() function - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: getpid() function
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Perhaps a more relevant question is why are we cluttering the namespace
> with any such function at all?  What's the use case for it?  We've
> gotten along fine without one so far, and I don't really think that we
> *ought* to be exposing random bits of internal implementation details
> at the SQL level.

Actually, I was wondering the same thing, maybe for a different reason.
Exposing the backend internals could have security implications (though
don't make me concoct a scenario to prove it ;)

Although it might have some usefulness for debugging, I think it should
not be an "installed by default" feature, so istm would be a great
candidate for a contrib/ function or library. If someone needs it, it is
almost immediately available.
                 - Thomas