Newbie: Creative use of LIMIT?? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Shmuel A. Kahn
Subject Newbie: Creative use of LIMIT??
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hello all,
Being pretty new at SQL, I have a problem I don't know how to solve.

Assuming I have the following two tables of people and their nicknames,
and that I want to create a list containing UPTO 2 (or any value
greater than 1) nicknames for EACH member of a specific family (Fam
column), how would I do this?

I know how to get ALL of the nicknames for the family:

SELECT "MEMBERS"."Name", "NICKS"."Nickname"
FROM "NICKS",(SELECT "PEOPLE"."ID", "PEOPLE"."Name" FROM "PEOPLE"    WHERE "PEOPLE"."Fam" = 1) AS "MEMBERS"
WHERE "NICKS"."ID" = "MEMBERS"."ID"
ORDER BY "MEMBERS"."Name"

but am totally clueless on how to impose a limit on the number of rows
to get for each individual family MEMBER.

Can it be done in a single query? I sure hope so. Any help?

Shmuel A. Kahn

PEOPLE
Fam |ID | Name | Yada1 Yada2 ....
.....2 | 5 | DarthVader .....

NICKS
ID | Nickname
------------------1 | Pops1 | BigChief1 | Honcho2 | Mums2 | YesMother3 | JoeJoe3 | Bumpkin3 | Jug4 | Barb
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.
Shmuel A. Kahn
Shmuel@Kam-motion.com