Re: show() function - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: show() function
Date
Re: show() function
List pgsql-patches
Rod Taylor wrote:
>>test=# show all;
>>              name              |                setting
>>-------------------------------+---------------------------------------
>>  australian_timezones          | off
>>  authentication_timeout        | 60
>

> Does this mean I could capture the output?  I.e.  Does anything special
> need to happen to have JDBC and friends return a vector with the info?

I'm not sure how the various interfaces will handle this. I have an SRF
in the form of a contrib function that I'm sure will work with any
interface, but I have yet to get it accepted into cvs for a variety of
reasons. That's the contib/showguc show_all_vars() function I referred
in the post you are replying to. E.g.:

test=# select * from show_all_vars();
             varname            |                varval
-------------------------------+---------------------------------------
  australian_timezones          | off
  authentication_timeout        | 60
  checkpoint_segments           | 3
  .
   .
    .
  wal_debug                     | 0
  wal_files                     | 0
  wal_sync_method               | fdatasync
(96 rows)

I *think* this function, probably renamed, will end up in
contrib/tablefunc or something similar.

Joe