Re: SQL problem with aggregate functions. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jean-Luc Lachance
Subject Re: SQL problem with aggregate functions.
Date
List pgsql-sql
What is wrong with:

select field_group, sum( case when f1 = 'D' then cnt else 0 end) as
D_COUNT, sum( case when f1 = 'R' then cnt else 0 end) as R_COUNT, sum( case when f1 = 'X' then cnt else 0 end) as
X_COUNT
from (select field_group, f1, count (*) as cnt from tab group by
field_group, f1) as ss
group by field_group;

It should be faster because there is less CASE evaluation.