Re: Rule WHERE condition problem - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Kristian Eide
Subject Re: Rule WHERE condition problem
Date
List pgsql-sql
>> ERROR:  query rewritten 10 times, may contain cycles
>> It would seem that my WHERE clause is not checked before the action is run.
>No, the WHERE clause is essentially transformed into part of the rule
>query.  You can't ever write a rule of the form
>    ON UPDATE TO b DO UPDATE b ...
>because it *will* be an infinite loop, condition or no condition.

OK, perhaps the documentation should state that recursive rules are not
supported.

>Consider using a trigger instead.

Yes, I have written a PL/pgsql function and a trigger for this, which seems to
work perfectly. A rule would have been much simpler though :)

Thanks.

---
Kristian