Starting with pl/pgsql.. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Terry Yapt
Subject Starting with pl/pgsql..
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hello all,

I have starting with PostGreSQL. I come from Oracle 8i and 9i but we want to start using PostGreSQL in a few projects
andsee if it runs fine.

I have testing now pl/pgsql language.  It is very important for me because I have a lot of oracle pl/sql code in all my
databasesand I think is better do almost everything will be possible on the server than the client...

Ok.  I have read all Oracle -> PostGreSQL documents (Programmer, O'reilly book, etc)... and I am trying to do my first
pl/pgsql"procedure".

First question:
  ONLY functions exists on pl/pgsql ?  No Procedures ?  No Packages ?

Second question:
  I am doing this and obtaining this too:
    www=# select x(10,40);
    NOTICE:  Error occurred while executing PL/pgSQL function x
    NOTICE:  line 8 at assignment
    ERROR:  zero-length delimited identifier

I have changed almost everything.  The way to do, variable names, etc.. but the same error (or others) I am obtained.

I don't understand anything.... and it is a TEST-EASY function.  :-((((

Thanks and best regards..

                Table "pepe"
 Column |         Type          | Modifiers
--------+-----------------------+-----------
 a      | numeric(2,0)          | not null
 b      | character varying(50) |
Primary key: pepe_pkey
-- Function: x(int4, int4)
CREATE FUNCTION "x"("int4", "int4") RETURNS "int4" AS '  DECLARE
     inicio alias for $1;
     final alias for $2;
     --
     texto varchar;