Re: how to re-configure postgresql-rpm version - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From BAYET Richard
Subject Re: how to re-configure postgresql-rpm version
Date
List pgsql-admin
root wrote:

> I downloaded postgresql 7.2.1 - rpm version, installed it to my Linux machine
> and inputted some of my data in postgresql.  Now I would like to re-configure
> my postgresql server by increasing --enable-local and
> --enable-multibyte=UNICODE options.  How should I do?
> I found all document talking about re-configure tar.gz version not rpm.  The
> main point is that I can not find the ./configure file from rpm version.

The "tar.gz" version you're talking about must be the "source" version, ie the
version you have to "compile", "build".
Hence the ./configure call, that will "configure" (heh, who said computer
science terms are often misleading ?) your build and installation.
The rpm version is the binary version, where "almost everything" is done for
you. You won't find any ./configure or Makefile in a binary version.
If you want to tweak your postgreSQL install at build-time, get the source
version instead and follow README and INSTALL files instructions.
(Basically, you will "./configure --with-all-your-favorite-options=enabled",
"make", "make install").

PS: DO uninstall the rpm version first.