Re: Case-sensitive problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andre Schnabel
Subject Re: Case-sensitive problem
Date
List pgsql-general
igor wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to migrate MS SQL 6.5 database server to the postgresql
> database )7.1). I have my program made in Power Builder and this
> program is working without problems with MS SQL server. But when I
> tried to change the database to the PostgreSQL I received following
> errors:
> 1. The program(Power Builder) is not recognizing more big and small
> letters (case sensitivity).
> 2. There is also problem with spaces ,with that is also having
> PosgreSQL problems.
>
> How can I fix that problem with letters? Is there any special way how
> to build PostgreSQL ,so it is working well with PowerBuilder and
> especially with small and big letters.
>
> The PostgreSQL is running on Linux and PowerBuilder on Windows.
>
> Thanks for all your answers

Hi,

sorry, but your description is not very clear. What problems do you have
exactly?
For case sensitivity I just know, that MS SQL's behaviour is very
strange by default. So ('CaseSensiTive' = 'casesENsitiVE' ) would be
true with MS SQL. But this is obviouliy not true to me (and to
postgresql too). If this is your problem, you have to test
( upper(text1) = upper(text2)).

And for the spaces .. maybe you should check your datatypes.
If you have an Varchar(5), 'abc' would be stored as 'abc'. But if you
have a char(5), 'abc' would be stored as 'abc  '.

Andre