Re: Suggestions for implementing IS DISTINCT FROM? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Suggestions for implementing IS DISTINCT FROM?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I've actually already done almost all the work for converting BETWEEN to a
> node but I have a couple of questions:
> Should I use a boolean in the node to indicate whether it is SYMMETRIC or
> ASYMMETRIC, or should I use some sort of integer to indicate whether it is
> SYMMETRIC, ASYMMETRIC or DEFAULT (ASYMMETRIC).  That way the reverse in
> rules and views could leave out the ASYMMETRIC if it wasn't specified
> originally, rather than always adding it in.  Which is better?

Great!

I would use a boolean (or integer) to indicate two possibilities, not
three.

The language specifies what the default should be, and dump programs
could choose to omit the ASYMMETRIC if they choose. imho it is best to
resolve defaults earlier, rather than pushing the resolution deep into
the parser or even farther.
                  - Thomas