Re: NetBSD Live CD/PostgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: NetBSD Live CD/PostgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Ian Harding wrote:
> A really cool CD image is available for NetBSD which boots and runs
 > NetBSD/KDE/KOffice/Samba without using a hard drive.

There are a set of scripts (called LiveCD) for doing this with FreeBSD.
It might even be the same scripts ported to NetBSD.

> I am not smart enough to know exactly how it works, but it must be
 > creating some kind of magic hard drive in memory.

The LiveCD scripts use memory filesystems.

> I know similar questions have been asked before, but I think they
 > implied using the on-disk operating system.  The question is, is it
 > theoretically possible, given enough system resources, to create such
 > a thing with just the OS and a PostgreSQL server installation to use
 > for demonstrating the capabilities of PG to someone who does not want
 > to install it?

Absolutely.  I've been playing with the LiveCD scripts and I should
probably make a bootable FreeBSD CD with a number of spiffy programs
on it.  PostgreSQL would be a terrific candidate.

This comes up every now and again.  What kind of demand is there for
such a CD?  Email me if you want one (off-list please) and if I get
enough requests, I'll throw away some of my free time to create one
and post the ISO on the web.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies