Devolopment -> Testing -> Production Problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dean Grubb
Subject Devolopment -> Testing -> Production Problems
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi, I'am having a lot of headaches when I move my db from a development
server to another server. Especially do with functions and the cache
lookup fail error.

Is there a "best" way to move a db to lesson these types of problems.

My development server is a laptop running windows, cygwin and postgresq
7.1.3, my production box is debian and postgresql 7.1.3.

I use pgAdmin to do all my table and function managment (functions are
pgplSQL). I have keep my functions in Microsoft's Visual Source Safe.

I generally use pg_dump -o -O -x > output.file to dump the database and
psql -d database < output.file to import.

Sometimes I use pgAdmins publish database to move the tables and
functions and then a pg_dump -a > output.file to move the data.

Either way I still end up spending hours tracking down errors, which is
a real pain.

any help will be gratefull, thanks

Dean Grubb