Re: PERFORM effects FOUND patch (Was: [GENERAL] I must be - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: PERFORM effects FOUND patch (Was: [GENERAL] I must be
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Nigel J. Andrews" wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > Tom Lane dijo:

> > > Okay.  I guess the next question is whether PERFORM *should* be setting
> > > FOUND.  Seems like it might be a reasonable thing to do.
> >
> > Well, actually FOUND _is_ a side effect of PERFORM, IMHO.  I also tried
> > to do the very same thing, and also had to use the dummy variable, which
> > seems like a waste to me.
> >
> > I do not know anything about Oracle's PERFORM, though a quick search on
> > Google shows nothing relevant.
>
> I know nothing of Oracle's use of PERFORM either. Indeed I have looked in 4
> Oracle books 'Oracle 8i The Complete Reference', 'Oracle8i DBA Bible', 'Oracle
> PL/SQL Language Pocket Reference' and one on PL/SQL Builtins (on the off
> chance), and couldn't find any reference to PERFORM. I even scanned, by eye,
> every page of the PL/SQL reference and saw nothing.

Perform has nothing to do with ORACLE. It was added because people tried
to call other "procedures" and didn't want any result back. Using

    SELECT function();

didn't look right, so we made it

    PERFORM function();

Jan