How to Identify a SERIAL column type? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Phillip J. Allen
Subject How to Identify a SERIAL column type?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi all,

I am migrating my MS Access Geochemical Sample database to a Postgresql
7.2 backend.  I have a Visual Basic Function(s) that copies all the
properties of one sample to create a new sample with the same
properties.  And the properties are in multiple child tables and 1
parent table.  This is all done with a glorified SQL generated on the
fly of all fields that are not "AutoNumber" or SERIAL fields.  Now in
Acces it all works fine and dandy since before I add the column name to
the SQL string I check to see if its column type is autonumber.  But now
with the PSQL  tables being linked in with ODBC the serial fields are
just seen as a plain old number.

So how can I identify a column of type Serial or in reality "DEFAULT
netxval(this_column_seq)"?

Thanks,

Phillip J. Allen
Consulting Geochemist/Geologist