Re: Time Formatting - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From hodges@xprt.net
Subject Re: Time Formatting
Date
List pgsql-novice
Problem solved.

I read the manual.  The to_char function doesn't work
with type time.  When I cast it to type timestamp the
database library I am using (php_lib_login and ADODB)
objects.

So I solved it with the php date and strtotime functions.
$time = $result->fields[3];
$time2 = (date("h:i a",strtotime($time)));

This allows flexible time display.  My update and add
buttons both store correct data in the table.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions,

Tom

On Sat, 2002-05-11 at 13:31, hodges@xprt.net wrote:
> SELECT to_char( timestamp, 'HH12:MI am') FROM feasts;
> or                time
> from psql prompt gives
> Function 'to_char(time, unknown)' does not exist
> Unable to identify a function that satisfies the given argument types
> you may need to add explicit typecasts
> time has the type of time

SELECT to_char( mytimefield::timestamp, 'HH12:MI am') FROM feasts;

And I can't recommend strongly enough that you read the manual, which is
quite clear on this sort of thing.

Regards,
     Andrew.

> > And for lots more information, look at the docs:

Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
       Are you enrolled at http://schoolreunions.co.nz/ yet?