Re: pgAdmin2 to be included in Dev-C++ - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: pgAdmin2 to be included in Dev-C++
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

> Dear Mark,
>
> Agreed except for paths (see below). But now that we agree, why not move to
> Windows in three steps:
> 1) Release a minimal Cygwin + PostgreSQL installer,
> 2) Have 100.000 downloads or more Windows developpers,
> 3) Work as a team on a Windows port.
>
> By the way : Cygwin accepts both Windows AND Unix paths depending on
> installation options. Cygwin is able to understand C:\program
> files\postgresql\var\lib\pgsql, /cygdrive/../var/lib/pgsql or simply
> /var/lib/pgsql.

The point you are missing is that a cygwin version of postgres is unacceptable.
Doing an installer BEFORE commiting to making the system excellent is putting
the cart before the horse.

The LAST thing we want is 100,000+ Windows users downloading PostgreSQL and
getting a cygwin version.

The first time it doesn't work because of anti-virus software, they'll call it
junk. When they test performance and see that it sucks, they'll remove the
software.