Re: Queries using rules show no rows modified? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hiroshi Inoue
Subject Re: Queries using rules show no rows modified?
Date
Re: Queries using rules show no rows modified?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue@tpf.co.jp> writes:
> > Of cource it is nice to have a complete solution
> > immediately but it doesn't seem easy. My patch is
> > only a makeshift solution but fixes the most
> > siginificant case(typical updatable views).
>
> I would like to devise a complete solution *before* we consider
> installing makeshift solutions (which will institutionalize wrong
> behavior).
>
> There seems to be some feeling here that in the presence of rewrites
> you only want to know that "something happened".  Are you suggesting
> that the returned tuple count should be the sum of all counts from
> insert, update, and delete actions that happened as a result of the
> query?  We could certainly implement that, but it does not seem like
> a good idea to me.

What should the backends return for complicated rewrites ?
And how should/could clients handle the results ?
It doesn't seem easy to me and it seems a flaw of rule
system. Honestly I don't think that the psqlodbc driver
can guarantee to handle such cases properly.
However both Ron's case and Michael's one are ordinary
updatable views. If we can't handle the case properly,
we could never recommend users to use (updatable) views.

regards,
Hiroshi Inouehttp://w2422.nsk.ne.jp/~inoue/