Re: Issues tangential to win32 support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: Issues tangential to win32 support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dann Corbit wrote:
> It took a few hundred man hours to do it.  I see the whole Win32 port as
> a non issue.  Several parties have already completed it (including the
> place where I work -- CONNX Solutions Inc.).  If we did not do it or all
> parties who already did it were hit by a comet or something, someone
> else would accomplish it.  It isn't trivial but it isn't impossible
> either.  If a need is large enough, someone will manage it.  The need is
> large enough.  Ergo...
>
> Here are some other things related:
>
> A ready to go Win32 PosgreSQL package:
> http://www.dbexperts.net/postgresql
>
> An open source project to productize PostgreSQL for Windows (has gone
> nowhere so far):
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/winpackage/projdisplay.php
>
> A native Win32 port accomplished by a Japanese Group:
> http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA023283/PostgreSQLe.html
> If you look under the "Gists for Patch" it contains exactly the same
> tasks that CONNX Solutions Inc. had to accomplish in every case.

These packages are based upon cygwin. Problems with cygwin:

(1) GNU license issues.
(2) Does not work well with anti-virus software
(3) Since OS level copy-on-write is negated, process creation is much slower.
(4) Since OS level copy on write is negated, memory that otherwise would not be
allocated to the process is forced to ba allocated when the parent process data
is copied.