Re: Issues tangential to win32 support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: Issues tangential to win32 support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 22:36, mlw wrote:
> > Scott Marlowe wrote:
> > >  note
> > > that many Unixes prefer multi-threaded models as well (Solaris comes to
> > > mind) so there's the possibility that a multi-threaded postgresql could
> > > enjoy better performance on more than just windows.
> >
> > The isolation of a process is very important to reliable operation. Going
> > threaded usually means allowing a single connection to bring down the whole
> > server.
>
> AFAIK we do that already in forked model - any time postmaster thinks
> that a dying child has corrupted shared memory it kills all its
> children.

I know there are cases when postmaster will kill all its children, but take the
case of a faulty user function that gets a segfault. That process dies and the
others continue. Without a lot of OS specific crap in postgres, that sort of
behavior would be difficult to have with a threaded server.