Re: Problems with "order by clause" - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Barry Lind
Subject Re: Problems with "order by clause"
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Erik,

I finally had a few minutes to try to reproduce you problem.  However I
do not see the same behavior as you.  I tested on 7.2.1 with the 7.2.1
jdbc driver on a database created in the C locale.  I see the same order
in the output under jdbc as I do in psql.

tralala
tralal
Tralala

thanks,
--Barry

Erik Behrends wrote:
> Hi Barry,
>
> I forgot to point out that the oracle and sapdb results I got via JDBC
> differed from
> the results I got directly in SQL-Plus resp. SQL-Studio:
>
> Tralala
> tralala
> tralal
>
> This led me to the assumption, that JDBC is doing some kind of
> formatting or something (?).
> To speak clearly:
> The results I get in a db console under oracle, sapdb and PostgreSQL are
> all
> the same, while the JDBC results differ in the way described below. This
> is what seems
> really weird to me...
>
> Looking forward to any further suggestions,
>
> Erik
>
> Barry Lind wrote:
>
>> Erik,
>>
>> This isn't really a jdbc question, problably should be addressed on
>> pgsql-general, or pgsql-sql, however I will give it a try.  On my
>> system I actually see the same results as Oracle and Sapdb and not the
>> results you are reporting for postgres.  This would lead me to believe
>> that the behavior you are seeing is correct behavior but that you are
>> running postgres with a locale that is different than mine.  Sort
>> order is determined by the locale that you are running under.  My
>> database is installed with a C locale (i.e. binary sort order) as
>> opposed to a language/territory specific locale that would produce a
>> different ordering.
>>
>> thanks,
>> --Barry
>>

>> Erik Behrends wrote:
>>
>>> Hello to everybody,
>>>
>>> I have a little problem concerning the "ORDER BY" clause.
>>> Consider a table "test" having one text field "val" with the following
>>> entries:
>>>
>>> tralala
>>> Tralala
>>> tralal
>>>
>>> Now, I want to execute the following query via JDBC:
>>>    SELECT * FROM test ORDER BY val DESC;
>>> When using JDBC with Oracle or Sapdb I get the following result:
>>>
>>> tralala
>>> tralal
>>> Tralala
>>>
>>> (correct lexicographic order as expected by Java)
>>>
>>> Now, using PostgreSQL (7.1.3 with JDBC driver 7.2) the result is:
>>>
>>> Tralala
>>> tralala