Re: OK, lets talk portability. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mlw
Subject Re: OK, lets talk portability.
Date
Re: OK, lets talk portability.  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> And no, I don't want to undo those changes.  Especially not if the
> only reason for it is to not have to use Cygwin on Windows.  Most
> of these changes made the startup code substantially simpler,
> faster, and more reliable.

Then I think the notion of a pure Windows version is dead in the water. Writing
a fork()-like API for Windows is, of course, doable as evidenced by cygwin, and
from a general theory seems like a pretty straight forward thing to do (with a
few low level tricks of course) but the details are pretty scary.

Has anyone done a profile of PostgreSQL running on a windows box and identified
cygwin bottlenecks which we could augment with native code?