Re: Schemas: status report, call for developers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bill Cunningham
Subject Re: Schemas: status report, call for developers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>Bill Cunningham <billc@ballydev.com> writes:
>
>>I would think this should produce the following:
>>

>>test=# \d mytab
>>        Table "bar.mytab"
>> Column |  Type   | Modifiers
>>--------+---------+-----------
>> f1     | text    |
>> f1     | integer |
>>

>>        Table "foo.mytab"
>> Column |  Type   | Modifiers
>>--------+---------+-----------
>> f2     | text    |
>> f3     | integer |
>>

>Even when schemas bar and foo are not in your search path?  (And,
>perhaps, not even accessible to you?)
>
>My gut feeling is that "\d mytab" should tell you about the same
>table that "select * from mytab" would find.  Anything else is
>probably noise to you --- if you wanted to know about foo.mytab,
>you could say "\d foo.mytab".
>
>However, \d is not a wildcardable operation AFAIR.  For the commands
>that do take wildcard patterns (like \z), I'm not as sure what should
>happen.
>
>            regards, tom lane

So we now have a default schema name of the current user? For example:

foobar@somewhere> psql testme
testme=# select * from mytab
   Table "foobar.mytab"Column |  Type   | Modifiers

like that? This is exactly how DB2 operates, implict schemas for each user.

- Bill Cunningham