Re: explicitly casting return value of avg() to float4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jon Lapham
Subject Re: explicitly casting return value of avg() to float4
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> [snip]
> This isn't really any different from
>
> regression=# select 0.01::float4::float8;
>        float8
> ---------------------
>  0.00999999977648258
> (1 row)
> [snip]

True enough.

So, I guess my applications will have to first determine what the column
precision is, an then use the appropriate ::float4 cast if the column is
a float4 column.  This stinks... but I do understand why it is the way
it is.

Is there an SQL-ic way to determine the column type (ie: float4) of a
column?

Thanks,
-Jon

--