Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: Index Scans become Seq Scans after VACUUM ANALYSE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart wrote:

<snip>
> If that were exposed, then folks could have additional control over the
> optimizer no matter what syntax they prefer to use. And in fact could
> alter the behavior without having to completely rewrite their query.
>
> One could also think about a threshold mechanism as you mention above,
> but istm that allowing explicit control over reordering (fundamentally
> different than, say, control over whether particular kinds of scans are
> used) is the best first step. Not solely continuing to hide that control
> behind heuristics involving query style and numbers of tables.

A la Oracle... here we come....

:-/

If we go down this track, although it would be beneficial in the short
term, is it the best long term approach?

I'm of a belief that *eventually* we really can take enough of the
variables into consideration for planning the best query every time.  I
didn't say it was gunna be soon, nor easy though.

+ Justin

>                     - Thomas

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi