Re: Implicit coercions need to be reined in - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Implicit coercions need to be reined in
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Haven't you read the previous threads?  Implicit coercions are
> dangerous, because they cause the system to resolve operators in
> unexpected ways.

Sure he's read the threads. The conclusion is *not* obvious, and any
blanket statement to that effect trivializes the issues in a non-helpful
way imho.

I'd like to see a continuing discussion of this before leaping to a
conclusion; now that we have (somewhat) more control over coersions some
additional tuning is certainly warranted but hopefully it will not
require removing reasonable and convenient behaviors.
                     - Thomas