Re: Meaningful Exception handling - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Barry Lind
Subject Re: Meaningful Exception handling
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
First off you do know that you can't catch an error in postgres and
continue on, don't you?  Any error in postgres aborts the current
transaction.  Thus after an error you must rollback and start a new
transaction, and then you need to redo all the work up to the point of
the error.  This isn't generally something you can easily do when
catching an exception.

Answering your specific question:  comparing the string error message is
currently the only way to determine the error.  There is a TODO item for
the database to support error codes, and when the database adds that
support the jdbc driver will as well.

thanks,
--Barry