Large table update/vacuum PLEASE HELP! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dmitry Tkach
Subject Large table update/vacuum PLEASE HELP!
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi, everybody!

This is the continuation of my yesterday's trouble, having updated a large table
Please see my previous message - Alter/update large tables - VERRY annoying behaviour

The only responses I got to that was, pretty much how annoying I was, posting to several
mailing lists at once (I am not doing that any more) and posting messages in HTML (I hope,
that is fixed now too)...

Well... EVEN THOUGH I posted to different lists, I got no response! Is it because I am asking
something stupid? Is my English lousy, so that people just don't understand what I am talking about?
Or am I just not welcome here at all?

I am sorry, if I sound too irritated... that's just because I am :-(
You see, I ran that vacuum command on that table... it took about 24 hours... AND STILL DID NOT FIX ANYTHING!

select * from a limit 1;

Takes about 30 minutes and I have no idea what it is thinking about for so long!

If anyone has anyu idea at all what could be the problem, PLEASE HELP!

Thanks a lot!

Dima