Re: Hash Join vs Nested Loops in 7.2.1 ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ed Loehr
Subject Re: Hash Join vs Nested Loops in 7.2.1 ...
Date
List pgsql-general
Ed Loehr wrote:

>>> Second, the same query sometimes takes 10-50 seconds shortly after
>>> possibly a dump or other high-data-volume queries are executed, after
>>> which it then returns to 1 second execution time.  Getting crowded out
>>> of shared memory?

>>> shared_buffers = 256
>>
>> That's not a lot --- 256*8K = 2MB.  You might try something in the low
>> thousands.
>
> SAM indicates 512MB of RAM.  I upped the shared buffers from 256 to
> 4096, and the hashjoin query came down from ~90 seconds to 10, still 10x
> slower than the 1-sec nested loops.  Is that a performance difference
> you'd expect between hash and nested loops on this query because of EXISTS?

What I neglected to mention was that the planner was *choosing* the slower
hashjoin plan over the much faster nested loop plan without any PGOPTIONS set
or any postgresql.conf changes to enable_*, thus the motivation for a "thumb
on the scales."  After upping the number of shared buffers, it has begun
choosing the smart plan 1-second plan, apparently after a restart, not sure.
  Thanks, Tom.

Ed