Re: ANALYZE after restore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: ANALYZE after restore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Jan,

Jan Wieck wrote:

<snip>
>     The  defaults  after  a  restore should result in index scans
>     most  of  the  time,  resulting   in   some   medium   decent
>     performance.   And  PostgreSQL  needs  some  frequent  VACUUM
>     anyway, so after a while this problem solves itself  for  the
>     average user.
>
>     A  database  wide  forced  VACUUM  on the other hand can make
>     things worse.  I have  seen  scenarios,  where  you  have  to
>     explicitly  leave out ANALYZE for specific tables in order to
>     keep them index-scanned. So what you're proposing is to force
>     professional  PostgreSQL  users  to  wait after restore for a
>     useless ANALYZE to complete, before  they  can  reset  things
>     with  a normal VACUUM to get their required performance back?
>     And all that just to make dummies happier?
>
> Jan

Nope, I'm figuring that if it's an option, and the option is on by
default, then for the majority of people that will be a good thing.

Anyone that's a professional PostgreSQL user will know about to turn the
option off i.e. pg_dump --something (etc).  Sure, we all make mistakes
and will forget now and again, but I don't think that should stop us
from taking into account that the majority of users out there are fairly
PostgreSQL clue-less.

If we can make it easy without much inconvenience and without
sacrificing the power of the database, we should.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

<snip>

first group; there was less competition there."  - Indira Gandhi