Re: Configuring for 64-bit integer date/time storage? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Re: Configuring for 64-bit integer date/time storage?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > I've got patches to enable storage of date/time values as integers
> > rather than as floating point numbers, as discussed earlier.
> I'd like to know first what the overall plan for this feature is.

My feeling is that the int64 implementation will be "better". But I
*don't* know how many platforms support that data type, and I'm not yet
sure if there will be a measurable performance difference on (some?)
platforms.

I'd expect that we could form a consensus on the best default over the
next couple of months. In either case, the option should be selectable,
otherwise some of us would have trouble testing the feature set, right?

Did you catch the questions on dealing with HAVE_LONG_INT_64,
HAVE_LONG_LONG_INT_64, and INT64_IS_BUSTED? I'd like to be able to
enable/disable integer date/time storage in configure, so some notion of
"do I have some kind of 64 bit integer?" seems to be desirable in
configure itself.
                     - Thomas