Python client code (was, Mandrake RPMs uploaded) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Lockhart
Subject Python client code (was, Mandrake RPMs uploaded)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > ... the python package has "mx" as a prerequisite to RPM
> > installation. I see no such package available on my Mandrake box, and
> > the python code seems to build and install without it. What is the
> > package and why might it be required? If it is a RH-specific feature,
> > should we put in a test to make it optional?
> The mx package is required by the new python client code.  It will indeed
> build without mx, but it will not RUN without it.  See rpmfind.net for
> sources -- the name 'mx' is a RedHatism, and the same package goes by another
> name, which I don't remember right off.

What in the package requires "mx"? Ah, I see in the release notes that
"mxDateTime" is required for running the DBI-compatible interface.

The general "mx" set of packages is a mix of free and non-free software,
though mxDateTime seems to be covered in the former. License wording at
the end, in case anyone cares.

In the meantime, I'll build these packages for Mandrake, since only one
or two other distros seem to bother with them at all. And since
mxDateTime (and Distutils, required by RH's mx package build) *could* be
installed without RPMs, istm that it should be a configure test rather
than an RPM prerequisite. Comments?
                     - Thomas

The Public License is very similar to the Python 2.0 license and covers
the open source software made available by eGenix.com which is free of
charge even for commercial      use.
      The Commercial License is intended for covering commercial
eGenix.com software, notably the mxODBC package. Only private and
non-commercial use is free of charge.